South Korea's Yoon refuses second summons in martial law investigation

Investigators stymied by security service as president focuses on impeachment trial

20241225N South Korea

Police block off the entrance to the president's office in Seoul on Dec. 4 during the brief declaration of martial law. (Photo by Ahn Seong-bok)

TETSUYA FUJITA, Nikkei staff writer

SEOUL -- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol has failed to comply to a second summons for questioning over his brief declaration of martial law, a joint investigation team said Wednesday, as the suspended leader's security service stands in the way of investigators.

A source from the Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials said that the Presidential Office had not responded, the Yonhap News Agency reported, following a similar nonresponse to the first summons last week. The CIO is still a long way from seeking a warrant for Yoon's arrest, the source said, adding that there are still many things to consider.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.