North Korea takes 1,000 casualties fighting Ukraine in past week, U.S. says

Some soldiers choose death over surrender: NSC spokesperson

20241227 Kim Jong Un

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un speaks at the National Defense University in Pyongyang on Oct. 7. (KCNA via Reuters)

KEN MORIYASU, Nikkei Asia diplomatic correspondent

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. estimates that North Korea has suffered over 1,000 casualties in the past week fighting Ukrainians in the Kursk region of Russia, a White House spokesperson said Friday.

North Korean forces are conducting "massed, dismounted assaults" against Ukrainian positions in Kursk, National Security Communications Adviser John Kirby said in the most detailed assessment offered so far. Dismounted assaults typically refer to a military operation where soldiers dismounts from their vehicles to attack an objective on foot.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.