BARCELONA, Spain -- A Huawei Technologies senior executive insisted on Tuesday that "no evidence" supports U.S. claims that his company's products pose a security risk, and he urged telecommunications businesses across the globe to choose the Chinese provider for their 5G networks.
"Huawei has not and will never plant 'back doors,'" Deputy Chairman Guo Ping, who also serves as a rotating chairman of the company, said in a speech at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
The U.S. has urged countries to bar Huawei from their networks, alleging that the world's biggest telecom equipment supplier could install back doors in the infrastructure that would allow China to to spy on Washington and its allies. The response among allies has been mixed.
The Huawei executive noted a recent tweet by U.S. President Donald Trump, who called on American companies to develop fifth-generation network technology, as it is "more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard."
Guo cited a study that showed Huawei's 5G products are 20 times faster than those in the U.S.
"I fully understand what President Donald Trump said last week," Guo said. "The United States needs powerful, faster and smarter 5G."
The executive even took a swipe at Washington's policies, targeting the so-called Cloud Act enacted last spring.
"The irony is that" the law requires American cloud service operators to provide data on their servers to authorities if requested, which allows government entities "to access data across borders," Guo said.
"For the best technology and greater security, choose Huawei," he said.