Nio denies tampering with data after fatal crash

Chinese EV startup responds to concerns over its automated driving system

20210818 CAIXIN NIO RC26JM9B3KLF

Nio will not release any information about the crash until the investigation results are published. © Reuters

DING YI, Caixin

Chinese electric vehicle startup Nio said it did not tamper with evidence needed for an ongoing investigation into a crash that killed a person who had been driving one of the company's cars with its self-driving system activated.

An obituary published Saturday on a public WeChat account named "Meiyihao" said Lin Wenqin, an entrepreneur who ran restaurant chain and other businesses, died in a crash on a highway in Southeast China's Fujian Province on Aug. 12 while driving his Nio ES8 SUV. The obituary said that the car's automated driving function, or Navigate on Pilot (NOP), was enabled when the incident happened. Lin was 31 years old.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.