ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronEye IconIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailMenu BurgerPositive ArrowIcon PrintIcon SearchSite TitleTitle ChevronIcon Twitter
Hong Kong protests

Britain 'concerned' Hong Kong consular staff held on mainland

Employee has not returned from visit to Shenzhen earlier this month

 Simon Cheng, an employee at the British Consulate in Hong Kong, has not returned to work as scheduled on Aug. 9 from a trip to the mainland city of Shenzhen.   © Reuters

HONG KONG (Reuters) -- Britain said on Tuesday it was "extremely concerned" by reports that a staff member at the consulate in its former colony of Hong Kong had been detained in mainland China.

Simon Cheng did not return to work on Aug. 9 after visiting the neighbouring mainland city of Shenzhen the previous day, Hong Kong news website HK01 reported, citing an interview with his girlfriend and family.

Hong Kong has been gripped by anti-government protests in recent weeks, with Beijing accusing Britain and other Western countries of meddling in its affairs.

Britain, the United States and other countries have urged China to respect the "one country, two systems" formula under which Hong Kong returned to China in 1997.

"We are extremely concerned by reports that a member of our team has been detained returning to Hong Kong from Shenzhen," a representative of Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in a statement released by the British embassy in Beijing.

"We are providing support to his family and seeking further information from authorities in Guangdong Province and Hong Kong," the representative said.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the case. Hong Kong police did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Hong Kong's Immigration Department confirmed via email it had received a "request for assistance from subject's family member" and "had provided the family with proper advice and practical assistance".

The British consulate in Hong Kong referred Reuters to the Foreign Office statement.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this monthThis is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia;
the most dynamic market in the world.

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia

Get trusted insights from experts within Asia itself.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Get Unlimited access

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this month

This is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia; the most
dynamic market in the world
.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Try 3 months for $9

Offer ends June 30th

Your trial period has expired

You need a subscription to...

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers and subscribe

Your full access to the Nikkei Asian Review has expired

You need a subscription to:

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers
NAR on print phone, device, and tablet media