Hong Kong media boss Jimmy Lai gets 13 months in June 4 vigil case

Judge says 'deterrent and punitive sentence' needed for violating COVID controls

20211213 jimmy lai

Media mogul Jimmy Lai arrives for an earlier court appearance. He was sentenced to 13 months on Dec. 13 for his involvement in a banned Tiananmen vigil. © Reuters

PAK YIU, Nikkei staff writer

HONG KONG -- Eight Hong Kong pro-democracy activists, including media mogul Jimmy Lai, were sentenced to up to 14 months imprisonment on Monday for taking part in last year's unauthorized vigil to mark the anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Square killings.

For the first time in three decades, Hong Kong authorities last year banned the city's annual commemoration for victims of China's crackdown on student protesters in 1989. Officials cited public health concerns, while the organizers said the move was politically motivated. Critics argued it was part of a wider campaign to suppress the memory of what happened in and around Tiananmen Square.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.