Myanmar announces ceasefire following quake: state media

Regime reportedly calls 3-week halt to operations to help disaster recovery

20250402N Myanmar aid India

An Indian naval vessel prepares to sail to Myanmar, loaded with disaster relief material, after the deadly earthquake in the Southeast Asian country. (X via Reuters)

(Reuters) -- Myanmar's ruling military has announced a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed opponents effective April 2 to April 22 following last week's deadly earthquake, state-run MRTV said on Wednesday.

In its nightly news bulletin, MRTV said the ceasefire was to facilitate rehabilitation of the country after the disaster.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.