U.N. Command has reached out to North Korea over U.S. soldier

Official says 'none of us know' how case of private who ran across border will end

20230724 Barricades are placed near the Unification Bridge

Barricades are placed near the Unification Bridge, which leads to Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone, on July 19 in Paju, South Korea. © Getty Images

STEVEN BOROWIEC, Nikkei staff writer

SEOUL -- The deputy commander of the United Nations Command in South Korea said Monday that communication is underway with North Korea over the fate of an American soldier who last week ran into the reclusive country.

Speaking to reporters in Seoul, United Nations Command Korea Lt. Gen. Andrew Harrison would only say that his side had initiated contact with the North Korean military. He would not specify whether North Korean authorities had acknowledged or responded to the messages.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.