Trump says he would extend TikTok deadline if no deal by June 19

ByteDance divestiture of app's US assets seen as linked to tariff dispute with China

20250504N Trump TikTok

A woman poses with her smartphone displaying Donald's Trump's TikTok page. © Reuters

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (Reuters) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said he would extend the June 19 deadline for China-based ByteDance to divest the U.S. assets of TikTok, the short-video app used by 170 million Americans, if no deal had been reached by then.

"I would ... I'd like to see it done," Trump told the NBC News program "Meet the Press with Kristen Welker" in an interview taped on Friday at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, that is airing across the United States on Sunday.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.