Indonesia's capital relocation plan 'still on,' Jokowi says

Presidential hopeful Subianto throws weight behind $32bn project

20210824N Jakarta traffic

A traffic jam in Jakarta: Indonesia's capital faces the "dual threat" of rising sea levels and sinking ground, Greenpeace warns. © Reuters

ERWIDA MAULIA and ISMI DAMAYANTI, Nikkei staff writers

JAKARTA -- President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on Tuesday said the government will proceed with its $32 billion plan to relocate Indonesia's capital city from Jakarta to the island of Borneo, while the strongest candidate to succeed him so far assured he supports the move.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.