NEW YORK (Kyodo) -- Japan, the U.S. and South Korea on Monday reaffirmed their "resolute commitment" to the complete denuclearization of North Korea, the top diplomats of the three countries said, as Pyongyang set conditions for the resumption of diplomacy with Washington.
During a meeting in New York, Japanese Foreign Minister Takeshi Iwaya, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun confirmed that they remain on the same page on North Korea and voiced concern over frequent destabilizing actions around Taiwan, without naming China, according to a joint statement.
The trilateral meeting, organized on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, came after North Korea raised the possibility of reengaging with the United States.
On Monday, North Korea's official media quoted the country's leader Kim Jong Un as saying that he sees "no reason" not to have talks again with the United States if it abandons its demand that Pyongyang give up its nuclear weapons.
But the diplomats said they agreed on "the need to address together" North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and to strengthen the sanctions regime against Pyongyang.
The statement said they also shared serious concern over North Korea's deepening military ties with Russia.
The trio, however, added that Japan, the United States and South Korea will continue to seek peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula through "dialogue and diplomacy."
In his speech before North Korea's parliament on Sunday, according to the state media, Kim also said he still has a "good memory" of U.S. President Donald Trump, who met the North Korean leader in person three times -- in Singapore, Vietnam and at the inter-Korean truce village of Panmunjeom -- between 2018 and 2019.
Kim's comments marked the first time he has spoken explicitly about his relationship with Trump since the U.S. president began his nonconsecutive second term in January.
During the 2024 presidential campaign and after returning to the White House, Trump has repeatedly sung the praises of the three meetings and expressed a willingness to reopen talks with Kim.
Trump has repeatedly claimed to have had a good relationship with Kim during his first term in office, despite their nuclear negotiations ultimately collapsing in 2019. He has also described North Korea as a "nuclear power."
The description fueled speculation earlier this year that Trump's second administration's approach to North Korea might depart from the long-standing U.S. policy of trying to bring about its complete denuclearization.
Japan's Foreign Ministry said Monday's three-way meeting lasted about 45 minutes, with Iwaya, Rubio and Cho, in particular, discussing "the growing threat from North Korea" and agreeing that the three countries will strengthen communication at all levels.
Additionally, they exchanged views on economic security and regional affairs, including "attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo by force or coercion," the ministry said, in a veiled reference to China's aggressive actions around Taiwan and in the South China Sea.




