US-China tensionsUS to ban WeChat and halt TikTok downloads Sunday
China criticizes decision and vows to protect interests of its companies
"WeChat for all practical purposes will be shut down," U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross says, adding that the "real shutdown" for TikTok would come after Nov. 12 in the absence of a deal. © Reuters
ALEX FANG and YIFAN YU, Nikkei staff writers
September 18, 2020 21:16 JST
Updated on September 19, 2020 11:31 JST
NEW YORK/PALO ALTO, U.S. -- TikTok and WeChat will be banned from U.S. app stores starting Sunday, the Commerce Department said Friday, following President Donald Trump's decision last month to issue executive orders targeting the popular Chinese-owned services.